1st ITT, clueless

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1st ITT, clueless

Post  kumagako on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:52 pm

Time trialing is a very daunting task. It requires you to give everything you have for a specific distance and cross the line with nothing on your tank. This has a high fright-scale measure in alot of cyclists but I believe that it is normal to be scared for timetrial deserve respect. I had a scare of my life when I did my first time trial.

The two important things needed in a time trial is proper pacing and finding your rhythm.

Pacing can be done using a HRM, powermeter or perceived effort. Do not use speed because we will not probably be time trialing in a velodrome in the near future. (there is a future plan for a velodrome in Kallang). Speed is greatly affected by temperature, wind condition, tire inflation and etc.

Best option is to use a HRM. First you would need to get your baseline numbers which is your best 1-hr average heartrate. This is very important for those scary ITT which are the long ones and take around an hour to finish.

Getting your best 1-hr average HR is a very difficult task so better use those 20-minute all-out test which are quite easy to do and interpolate on the probable 1-hr ave HR.

With this number you can train on it using maybe 10-minute intervals from x2 and building it up to x6 over a few weeks. Then confirm it by doing a dry-run ITT a few weeks b4 the race. So this number will be your ITT HR.

Even when properly paced, your heartrate will not be able to hit your ITT HR on the first 5 minutes in the course. This is a trap!!! If you hit your ITT HR in less than 5 minutes, it means you did a fast 5 minute, BLOW UP!!! and surely have a slow fade for the rest of the course. In addition your ITT time will be jeopardized.

To avoid this trap, you would need to have the skill of zoning your perceived effort to you timetrial pace.
You only need to do this skill on the first 5 minute, so I think it would be easy to do after a few trial and error runs.

REMEMBER: Fast 5 minute = slow time and slow 5 minute = slow time also.

Have your HRM to have an audible alarm when it goes above or below your ITT HR. Normal range is +/- 5 beats.

If you wonder why +5 beats, it is because the adrenaline of the race day can make you ride stronger, faster and longer. Don't worry, you wont blow up and if you feel you would then just back-off but still in the range.

Did you wonder why -5 beats also? It can be used as a buffer zone if you semi-wrongly did your first 5-minute pace. Anyways, no one can perfectly pace the first 5 minutes unless you have a powermeter.

The -5 beats can be used as your lower ceiling for a negative split. Negative splits are done by doing a little slower on the first half of the course and a little faster on the second half. This is proven to produce a faster result in most conditions.

You can ride the first half of the course in the -5beat HR window and ride the second half in the +5beat window.

So now we go to finding the rhythm. Sometimes the rhythm when properly paced comes naturally. It is like there is a music inside your head with the same tempo as with your cadence.

But sometimes you can not find it like what happened on my last ITT. I suffered all throughout the course after the first lap and even had my race results alot slower than my best dry-runs.

As I have search some forums, some said that it is normal. Even with the coolest training plan your body can sometimes be not attuned on the raceday. The human body is a complex machine and no one can accurately predict what is the response. That is why some would say that sticking to a training plan is a leap of faith.

OK, so how did I survive? I just used the tip I learned on a site once. Count your pedal strokes 1-2-3. 1 and 2 are medium strokes and 3 is a hard pedal.

LEFT
RIGHT
LEFT < hard
RIGHT
LEFT
RIGHT < hard

You can experiment on the 1-2-3-4-5.

It sure did help because I was able to do 2 more laps. hehehe

Anyways, I believed that the underperformance I had was largely attributed to a fast 5 minute.

How did I burn out even with a powermeter?

It is because I did all my dry runs at nighttime after work. I used all the baseline numbers taken at night when the temperature is low so at the raceday when the sun was hot the baseline numbers are invalid by 10watts.

A +10w when on the limit can be catastrophe especially when my wattage figures are on the 200s. Contador's 450w with +10w will not affect too much.

So it is important that we simulate the race conditions at the time of day that the race will be held.
kumagako

View user profile http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz

Back to top Go down

Re: 1st ITT, clueless

Post  mike-o on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:12 pm

very helpful ito kumagako. especially for me
who haven't done any itt before. thanks thanks :)
btw, bakit first 5 mins ang crucial?
mike-o

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Makoy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:12 pm

Mike, so are you going to test these tips sa November?

Try natin... parang enjoy din eh... :bounce:

Last edited by Makoy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Makoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mike-o on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:26 pm

yup! i'll be using these tips, and see how i'll
perform this nov :)
mike-o

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Makoy on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Ayus yan bro... :bounce:

Sali din ako, para ma-experience ko rin sya... :twisted:
Makoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  skid on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:49 am

Problema hirap kumuha ng rhythm kapag walang proper warm-up... not sure kung issue ito if you have power meter or hrm???
skid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Makoy on Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:35 am

Tawag dyan "Taxi EFFECT"... lol!

Pero parang mahirap ang pacing kung walang monitor/s... :)
Makoy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kumagako on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:54 am

skid wrote:Problema hirap kumuha ng rhythm kapag walang proper warm-up... not sure kung issue ito if you have power meter or hrm???

dnt wori yung pagbike mo papunta sa race eh parang warmup na yun. lalo na nagtutulak ka ng foldable :))
kumagako

Back to top Go down

Post  kumagako on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:51 pm

yung first 5 minute eh hindi pa sisipa ang target HR mo niyan. kung sumipa na eh very NOT properly paced ka.

first 5 monute eh presko kapa kaya ang babang effort. kaya nangyayari pumapadyak ka ng malakas na maari magblowup sau farther down the road.

kumagako

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top